Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A Beach Adventure

      Yesterday, for our holiday, Danika and I went with Mary and Ryan Rotman, and their dog Ember, to Doran Beach. This was Danika's first beach experience as well as Ember's. We were all excited about it and wondering how both of them would like the beach. I was thinking that Danika might not like the loud sound of the waves, or the cold water or even the feeling of the sand in between her toes. And then we weren't sure what the weather would be like exactly. We checked online and it said it would be nice with not too much wind, so we were very hopeful.
      Of course, since this was my first time taking a baby to the beach, I had no idea what to bring! So, naturally, I bring a bunch of stuff, extra clothes, clothes for warmer weather, clothes for colder weather, jackets, sweaters, diapers, wipes, snacks, bottles, etc. Whew! I felt like we were moving! Haha!
     We started out and transfered the car seat and everything into Ryan's car. Not more than five minutes into the trip to the beach, Danika was out cold. Ember had lots of fun looking out the window and trampling all over Mary and eventually settled down. We got to the beach and the weather was perfect. Not hot, but warm enough that our long sleeves were just right to keep us from being cold. I took off Danika shoes and socks, and had to think about how I was going to hold on to my shoes, the camera, Danika AND her shoes! Luckily her shoes are Velcro so I attached them to my belt loops! She was so cute when I put her down on the sand. Not quite sure if she liked it, but was very curious about it. It took her a while to figure out how she was supposed to walk in it. First her toes were flexed up and eventually she curled her toes down. We walked around for a bit and watched Mary, Ryan and Ember get their feet wet and I wasn't too keen on the idea of having freezing feet. So Mary was kind enough to take Danika out to the water. It was really cute watching Mary and Danika. First they looked down at the water and Mary slowly put Danika down. I couldn't see her face directly so I am not sure how she reacted right away, but I got pictures of her looking down at what she was standing in and then grabbing onto Mary's legs. She must not have liked the initial shock of the cold water. But after a while, she loved walking in it. And would get annoyed when I tried to get her to walk on the dryer part of the sand.
     Well, to keep things short, we had a wonderful time. I can't wait to take her to the beach again! If you want to see ALL of the pictures go to:
and

2 comments:

mary grace said...

yay for new adventures :) thanks for joining us!!

Anonymous said...

shes so freakin cute Julie i cant even stand it lol i'm glad she had fun! we spend A LOT of time at lake sonoma in the summers and im terrified of taking Darla out there haha but now I know it can be done! lol